Strategically implemented, portfolio analysis alleviates the pressures associated with investment portfolio management and elevates the probability of meeting goals for investment mandates. Research Optimus (ROP) being associated with many businesses as their strategic market analysis partner suggests extensive portfolio analysis to sustain in the competitive business. ROP’s professional portfolio analysis breaks down investment information about an investor’s holdings compared to their unique preferences, resources, and needs to determine factors such as risk compared to historical class asset performance, for example.
Adopting tactics that align with budget and business objectives helps organizations make sound financial investments and allocate money accordingly. Analyzing the services and products that comprise an organization's portfolio objectively determines where to accentuate products and services, and where to remove them.
What Includes in Our Portfolio Analysis
Research Optimus recognized for providing unbiased research and analytics services, presents portfolio analysis solutions in consideration of a business’s risk tolerance, investment objectives, and financial circumstances. ROP’s portfolio analysis also include the following:
- Describing performance measures
- Measuring portfolio performance
- Describing and contrasting investment strategies
- Proposing investment strategy solutions
The complexity of evaluating a portfolio’s health is magnified by numerous factors. However, management's intuitive business judgment, honed by experience and insight, can go even further when supplemented with expert portfolio analysis.
Additional Benefits of Portfolio Analysis
Apart from augmenting management’s intuitive judgment and experience with external data, portfolio analysis offers crucial benefits:
- Increases matter of cash flow available for application towards growth or expansion.
- Enables organizations to examine individual businesses that they’re involved with (Strategic Business Units), which may include PR, research, conventions or meetings, publishing, and education and training.
- Prevents faulty data from making its way onto balance sheets, which is important from a risk management perspective.
- Ensures that the portfolio holdings are compliant and proper with numerous laws and regulations.
Relying on unbiased, experienced portfolio analysis also helps avoid potential issues arising when organizations perform this process themselves and can reduce the impact of subjective judgments affecting portfolio analysis outcomes.
Below is a hypothetical example demonstrating how a portfolio analysis can be used to help top management make meaningful decisions based on the appropriateness of their needs and goals, while still relying on their acumen.
An organization requests a portfolio analysis of their holdings for capital preservation for a five-year period. The portfolio is analyzed to figure out if the positions are comprised of assets that have a high likelihood of maintaining low volatility and sufficient liquidity.
The organization would want to avoid any consequential stock allocation, instead emphasizing cash, well-run money market funds, certificates of deposit that are backed by the FDIC, US treasury bills and notes, and any other corresponding investments. For this example, the objective of producing investment income in the form of dividends or interest is a secondary or tertiary consideration to ensure the principal is available when the investor wants to access it.
How Portfolio Analysis Is Performed - Emphasis on Primary Tasks
Critical primary steps in portfolio analysis are as follows:
- Determining lines of business that comprise the organization's portfolio.
- Identifying group lines of business which enhance overall goals and have a priority right to resources.
- Measuring primary businesses with the organization's key mission statement.
- Designate relevant products/services per line of business.
- Administer the analysis process for all product and services in the portfolio with consideration to the program attributes.
- Evaluate if the product/service aligns with the organization's core priorities.
- Calculate if a program or service has simple funding and distribution.
- Evaluate alternative coverage possibilities via competitive analysis.
- Measure product and service position against competitive markers.
- Identify a fit for the program to understand the current competitive role and if it enhances an organization's market opportunities.
Systematic Portfolio Analysis
Management’s judgment can go further when the role of the portfolio analysis is positioned to help establish innovation and growth in relevant markets, and money can be invested prudently for the right business rewards.
Portfolio management service from ROP has become even more essential given the uncertainty of the economic climate and the fluctuating market landscape. ROP analyzes each portfolio component, answering important questions from the perspective of each portfolio position for valuable supplemental financial data that top management can rely on. Contact us today to discuss your requirements and how our analysts can help you out with a range of market research services.